Facebook adventures

As I wasn't able to spend much time physically in Gravesham I decided to explore as many virtual ways to visit as I could. I was a bit worried about being so open on Facebook - the internet is a very easy place for people to forget their manners and their humanity. I decided to set up a Facebook profile for this project, to safeguard family and friends of mine who could be accessed through my personal account and so that I could be more intentional about who I was, and why I was posting. It was odd working out how much personal information to share. I decided a potted history, and a couple of photos of myself and one with my husband, felt like an honest way to connect.

It turned out to be utterly brilliant. I received a very warm welcome, made lots of lovely connections and had more recommendations of places to visit and things to do than I could fit into 6 months. I wanted to showcase a couple of the amazing photographs that got shared on my posts - to tempt me to visit these places. I loved how generous people were with acknowledging and celebrating where they live. I'm definitely going to use this approach again when I work in new communities.

  


Buckland Reserve (which I sadly didn't' get to)

I also got to find out about the campaign to save the Sulman Church building in Gravesend - you can find out more here. the campaign would like the original building preserved and used for commercial, residential or community use.

I also got to find out about the campaign to save Swanscombe Penninsula, whilst not in Gravesham, the plans for the development of this area would have an impact on the Borough. There's a few community groups who are actively trying to preserve the area, you can find out about one of them here


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trosley Country Park & a glimpse of Vigo Village - Day 5

Flotsam and Jetsam - Day Two

Working for happiness