Fish on Friday

As I'm waiting to meet someone on St Andrew's Quay a father and his young daughter are fishing together. We chat and I find out about the fish he has caught from here. I'm surprised to learn that you can catch cod here, though it's mainly bass, whiting and flat fish, like flounder and sole. 

The little girl is clearly proud of her Dad, and he's proud of the fishing here. I'm reminded hat we can all be very proud of simple things, and that brings us joy and connection.


He catches a small fish*, it's too small to keep and go in the pot, so he throws it back. He's showing his daughter how to unhook and lets her look at the fish in his hands. He points me to a chart on the lid of his fishing box, showing the sizes of the fish you can keep and what you have to return. I wonder what (if?) the fish thinks about it's brief visit to St Andrew's Quay?


* I don't write down the name of the fish but I think it's a whiting? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flotsam and Jetsam - Day Two

Trosley Country Park & a glimpse of Vigo Village - Day 5

Working for happiness