On stories and sharing

Although things have been quiet on the blog I've had lots of brilliant phone calls and connections. I'm giving people the opportunity to edit and approve anything I share so things will start to appear out of order and might be bit slower. 

When I make theatre it's really important to me to be clear about whose story it is to tell, it can be very appealing to tell other people's stories. I usually think people should be given the resources and support to tell their own. Sometimes it's ok to tell other people's stories, only ever  with full consent and an ongoing conversation about that. The stories that appear on this blog are a little bit mine, a little bit other peoples and a little bit what happened between us. So, I'm working out how to navigate that.

In the meantime, I went down to the river and found some excellent pieces of crockery, a bit of clay pipe and a piece of broken glass with 'return' stamped on it - I love it. It makes me think of Lauren returning to Gravesend, of the tide always returning. 

I also had a call with Annie who interviewed for Duncan Grant’s blog (which is a wonderfully generous space of profiling other artists) I really enjoyed exploring his work and the other artists featured. Annie, like Duncan was bought up in Gravesend but now she lives in London. While it’s mainly me answering the questions I do get a local tip off – the sausages made by and sold at Harvel House Farm Shop are wonderful. You have to walk past the pigs to get them which is a test even for a carnivore, but they are worthy a significant detour. I think Annie is looking forward to the next opportunity to get some!



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flotsam and Jetsam - Day Two

Trosley Country Park & a glimpse of Vigo Village - Day 5

Working for happiness