Common Wealth

I attend a Commonwealth celebration on Zoom. There’s a mixture of films about the history of the Commonwealth, it’s role today and people who live in Gravesham with ancestral and family ties to other countries in the Common Wealth talking about their lives and experiences.


It’s organised and hosted as a Zoom webinar by Kent Cohesion Plus who aim to promote positive community relations in Kent, bringing communities together through the arts, public education and sport.


Last year the event happened in person in St Andrew’s Arts Space, the frequent references to food make me think that food usually plays a really important role in their events. I’m missing sharing food with others. There are references to International Women’s Day, with lots of speakers acknowledging the leadership and influence of women in their lives. 


The event doesn’t shy away from the complexity of the commonwealth, it’s roots in colonialism and empire. The focus seems to be on building out of this, and I wonder what is possible without meaningful reparations? Acknowledging wrongdoing and saying sorry is always a good start but then there needs to be restoration. The event begins with the acknowledgement and condemnation of a recent incident of racist graffiti on the Gurdwara. When I’m roaming round Gravesham Facebook groups there seems to be very vocal condemnation of this act and an outpouring of gratitude for the Sikh community, especially the support offered through lockdown. 


I find myself musing on the word Commonwealth. I’m really interested in the idea of commons – about the things we hold in common ownership, or share. They are often contested resources, when ownership trumps stewardship. I wonder what the commons of Gravesham are, or could be? What is the wealth in common – the river, the downs certainly. I’m still discovering what else.


At the event the Deputy Lord Lieutenant for Kent, Gravesham area, Dr Bhargawa Vasudaven speaks. I’m fascinated by this role, it’s something I’ve never encountered, and a bit of research reveals a nationwide network of Lord Lieutenants, and their deputies. They are a people who have in some way served their community and this is a ceremonial role, as a representative of the Queen. They are required to report back matters of local interest and importance, represent the Queen’s interests and support hosting of any Royal Visits. It’s probably not how it works at all but I’m gently intrigued by the idea of weekly missives to the Queen about the goings on in Gravesham, I wonder what is considered important for her to know?


I start thinking about all the different networks and associations that thread a place together – the social, political, cultural and faith groups. How the membership of these is usually voluntary, or requires payment and time. How that can exclude some.  I remember once reading about how Danes have the highest rates of adult membership of clubs of all the European nations, and this contributes to their happiness. The bonds of connection, the support and care, and sense of belonging that being part of a group creates helps us be human. I think of my rowing club, I joined unable to row, it’s much cheaper than a gym and I meet and connect with people I wouldn’t in any other sphere of my life.  Being part of the club has enriched my experience. We have a shared common wealth of memories, challenges and possibilities. I learn and practice how to be with different sorts of people with kindness. I think I’d like to find out all the clubs and societies that exist in Gravesham – maybe the library is a good place to start? 


Today I had my first of three conversations with a coach & mentor. When the plan had been that I would live for a month in Gravesham this support was to help adjust to living and working in such a different way. I’m so glad it was able to continue. It was a really nourishing conversation and I may write about it more later. One of the key things I take away is connected to something else I read and that has stuck with me for a long time. That most of us will, by definition, lead ordinary lives. But that our lives deserve to be filled with ease and comfort and joy and beauty. The article noted how many European countries recognise this in the everyday planning of places and services. Comfort is not an aspirational option only for an economic elite, which so often feels the case in the UK. There’s something about pride in the small everyday moments, things of beauty or joy that may seem insignificant but that enrich us. I realise I’m very interested in this and hope to connect with people in Gravesham to find what this is for them.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flotsam and Jetsam - Day Two

Trosley Country Park & a glimpse of Vigo Village - Day 5

Working for happiness