T minus 2 days (or have I started?)

Today I had a Zoom with Päivi from LV21 to talk about the logistics of how this residency might work. As the month progresses it may be more appropriate to visit and meet with more people outside, one on one. We are also gathering a sense of all the virtual or long distance possibilities there might be. Päivi is going to try to retain the element of surprise, to create room for the unexpected by giving me challenges rather than us agreeing a schedule. I can’t wait.


I also attend GAS – Gravesham Arts Salon. On a Zoom hosted by Mandy Hare, a culture manager for Gravesham Council, who in more usual times I think can be found at the Woodville Theatre  (currently a vaccination centre).  GAS is a gathering of artists and producers , representing themselves and organisations, saying hello and sharing what they are planning. There were people who would consider themselves professional artists and people who wouldn’t. I often feel uncomfortable with the term professional. It rarely relates to the passion and  skill of the makers, and a flourishing culture ecology needs everyone.


This first glimpse into the creative life of Gravesham away from LV21 was really exciting. The diversity of what was being talked about – EDM song writing, visual art, radio plays, ritual and art, walking art projects – was really exciting. To hear that council’s plans for festivals, commissions and arts spaces is also heartening. The council clearly see culture as a key part of the recovery for the area after Covid. From this event I could already fill a week with activity and conversations and making. It’s a special delight to realise these communities of makers are still there, making, planning for what can be done when we can be together again. 


I’m reminded of an article I read about the mycelium that connect trees in the forest, a complex mesh of fungi, bacteria and trees that mutually nourish and support each other underground. The sharing of information, the delight in others projects, the simple act of coming together.  I wonder who isn’t at GAS – doesn’t see themselves as a creator or artist, is home schooling today or doesn’t know it exists. I’d be interested to know how the invite is shared and the vision for the network. 


I spend some time exploring the websites and Facebook pages of those present -Fat Lady OperaGravesend  & District Theatre Guild, Follies, Gravesend Art Group, Inspiral London. I think I might sign up for the song writing course, mainly because it terrifies me but it would be so cool to write a song.


I’ve done some other preparations too, some very familiar for the start of a new project – the all important notebook. I’ve opted for something with pages I can paint onto. I’m not a visual artist but I find the habit of doodling and painting makes me look at and notice things in new ways. I set up a Facebook profile so that I can connect with people and organisations while on residency. It feels more honest to be clear about who I am and why I’m connecting with people in Gravesham. You can find me here  


I’ve ordered some Tide Tables for the Pool of London, I’m going to be going down the to the river a lot on days when I’m in London. As way of physically connecting me to Gravesham. I’m also learning how the tides change what is possible on LV21 – a timetable governed by the moon and the winds. I’ve got an OS Landranger map on the way and I’ve emailed a list of local history books Päivi is going see if the library can let me access.


I’ve also been for a Covid test . I’ll be doing them at least weekly throughout the project. It’s a strange new ritual to head to Mile End park Ecology pavilion and waggle a swab around the inside of my head. It’s not pleasant or dignified, I gag and splutter a lot but I’m so grateful that there is free testing for asymptomatic people available to me. I’ve had some caring responsibilities lately so I’ve already been testing fairly regularly. It’s an odd thing to add to my prep list but I feel much safer going to meet Päivi.


Today the sun has been shining, the sky has been blue and the parks that I walked through were full of crocus and daffodils. As I’m writing this, a wonderful, nearly full moon has steadily arced through the sky. It’s the moon that’s pulling in the higher tides on Monday, Spring tides that may see the Thames Barrier shut, and the quay at Gravesend flood. 


I’m feeling excited and optimistic, there are so many lines of enquiry opening up and I’m curious about so much. So, maybe I’ve started now? Like so much at the moment the boundaries are blurred and I’m just allowing myself to be ok with that and go with the flow.

Me on the long way round to my Covid test

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flotsam and Jetsam - Day Two

Trosley Country Park & a glimpse of Vigo Village - Day 5

Working for happiness